Nessa

~V~ Whirlwindbooks

When I'm not performing my duties as a mother, wife, trainer, taxi-driver, tutor, or chef, I read. I have a foul mouth (which I try to filter--but most of the time, fail), and I love to write.

The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty
Whirlwind Books

quotes Vanessa likes

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Vanessa has completed her goal of reading 102 books in 2013!
hide
The Truth About You and Me - Amanda Grace, Mandy Hubbard “You might not read this, but maybe they will, and maybe somehow that will help you. This letter can’t help us, because there is no us, not anymore.”

Reading a book formatted in the form of a letter was…unique. There are no chapters, no breaks; I really kind of liked it. The story told felt like I was a long lost relative, finding a treasure of a love letter written many years before; reading about the life, love and loss between Madelyn and Bennett. It definitely captivated me, and even though I had to take time in order to grasp this unique structure, it didn’t take away from the story.

So, a little re-cap:

Madelyn is sixteen. She is very smart and because of this, she has been afforded the option of attending the community college for credit in both High School as well as College courses. Walking into her Biology class on the first day, she sees Bennett Carmichael, her professor. This story pretty much tells itself by way of knowing that there will be something between the two of them; what kept me guessing was the fact that Bennett just assumed she was of age and that Madelyn would even hold these types of feelings in her very immature mind.
Now, I know these things happen all the time and reading this book definitely brought some interesting facts to light.

Girls are just a much to blame as boys are when it comes to seducing the opposite sex, sometimes worse. I did not, however, look at fault to be placed in Bennett’s hands. I knew from the beginning (as it was established) that Madelyn was the driving force between the two; and when Bennett became aware, he did the absolute right thing. I cried at her heartbreak, as well as his, because despite her age, he had fallen for her; and she ruined him.

So, why does a young girl set her sights on a much older man, knowing that they can never truly be together? Truth be told, I don’t know. It happens, and not just in fiction. Here is the only answer Madelyn could come up with…

“Who are you and what did you do with my sister?” “She was bored, so I got rid of her.” Bored. What a stupid reason to do what I did.”

But I wasn’t bored. I was intrigued; from the very first page. I read this book straight through, as if I was that distant relative, reading about a life a family member cared enough to write about. It made me feel connected; connected to Madelyn and Bennett in such an intimate way that I would want to share this story of love and loss for many years to come. It was nothing like I’ve read before, but it was magical and I am nosey enough to want to know more.

**4 Tucked Away Like History Stars**

Title received from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.