Nessa

~V~ Whirlwindbooks

When I'm not performing my duties as a mother, wife, trainer, taxi-driver, tutor, or chef, I read. I have a foul mouth (which I try to filter--but most of the time, fail), and I love to write.

The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty
Whirlwind Books

quotes Vanessa likes

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Vanessa has completed her goal of reading 102 books in 2013!
hide
White Trash Beautiful  - Teresa Mummert ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

“My feet couldn’t carry me fast enough. He represented everything I wanted in life. He was freedom, he was fantasy. A dream that played inside of my head since I learned how cruel this world could truly be.”

Cass is a girl born and raised in a small town outside of Savannah. A nobody, living in a trailer park and working at the run-down local diner; she’s a regular ray of sunshine. Ha! Carrying an unyielding chip on her shoulder and constantly putting herself down along with snapping at anyone who so much as pays her a second glance, no one would ever believe she was beautiful by the way she acted. Tucker White saw it though…and he knew from that first encounter that she was meant to be with him; despite her guarded demeanor and snappy tone.

Carrying guilt over her mom’s addiction and her useless, abusive boyfriend, Cass constantly puts herself down; making sure she never forgets what she is, where she comes from and where she will never get to go…it kind of made me crazy. Sometimes, I wanted to scream “ENOUGH ALREADY! Grow a pair and run away, damn you!” If it weren’t for Larry, I might have stopped reading. I love Larry.

Larry is the grumpy cook at Aggie’s Diner where Cass works. He gives her crap every day, but cares for her just the same. Cass does what she can to stay on his good side because she needs the job to pay the bills and hopefully get out of the trailer park. Jax, her boyfriend, doesn’t see things the same way. He’s a horrible excuse for a man and I cannot believe her guilt over wanting to leave him!

Cass is torn; torn by her need to care for those she loves (no matter how they treat her) and being able to leave her sad life behind with a man who truly wants her, not just her support. She sneaks around, playing with fire so to speak because Jackson (Jax) is the type of crazy who will kill her over suspicion.

“You are my greatest memory.”

So, a few things: one, I enjoyed this story. It was short and I felt could have had more to the back-story, but still good. Two, Teresa Mummert is a fantastic writer, and this is the first book I have read by her…it was recommended by a friend, and she has yet to steer me wrong.  I will be reading more from this author. Three, I really liked the sub-characters. I love a good romance, and Tucker & Cass fit that bill; but seeing the way other people were weaved into the story-line is what kept me reading. Larry was my favorite, did I mention that? He reminds me of my grandpa: grumpy and mean but caring and giving all in his own way…yeah, totally off subject. Anyway, despite the heavy tone and lack of length, I was kept guessing and it was surprisingly unexpected with the way everything played out. I look forward to the next one…maybe we can learn a little more about Tucker, and the “rock twins”.

**3 Trashy Stars**