Nessa

~V~ Whirlwindbooks

When I'm not performing my duties as a mother, wife, trainer, taxi-driver, tutor, or chef, I read. I have a foul mouth (which I try to filter--but most of the time, fail), and I love to write.

The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty
Whirlwind Books

quotes Vanessa likes

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Vanessa has completed her goal of reading 102 books in 2013!
hide
King Hall - Scarlett Dawn Holy Mother of a Cliffhanger!!!

“Once upon a time, at the beginning of the year, I had lost my heart. With these completely different Mysticals, I had found it again in them.”

Emily Ruckler is different. Tiny different, with solid red hair and powers she hasn’t even begun to understand. Only a few people know what Emily really is…two are dead, one has left and one has sworn to complete secrecy. If anyone ever finds out, Emily’s life is as good as over; see, she isn’t supposed to exist at all. Emily is an abomination, a ruin to the Mystical race, someone who could destroy everything…Emily is a hybrid.

Being mated to the Prodigy King Shifter has its advantages. No one asks questions, everyone is accepting and Emily is certain her secret is forever safe in the heart of Dominic, her mate. Coming to King Hall wasn’t an easy feat and doctoring her school transcripts is just one more thing that Emily could be put to death for, but under the protection of her mate (and it doesn’t hurt he is also the current Shifter King’s son), Emily starts her new life as just a shifter; nothing more, nothing less.

When tragedy strikes King Hall, Emily’s life changes forever. Being forced into a role she is neither prepared for, wants, or can even do, Emily knows it’s only a matter of time before her secret is out. What she didn’t count on are the friends she would end up making and how more than just her life was at stake.

“Your life has been picked for you. It’s time to own up to it.”

There are just too many details for me to even begin. The way the author weaved reality and fantasy is absolutely amazing and I could not put the book down. Emily, Ezra, Pearl & Jack are all King Prodigy’s; one from each Mys category: Shifter, Vampire, Mage, and Element. They are not supposed to mix (and they don’t) but the friendship forged between the four of these characters defies all the rules of the Law. I loved the banter between them, as well as the Reigning Kings. I love the little elements of surprise when new characters are introduced (or re-introduced) and I love that this book felt like a backwards Zombie Apocalypse! Now, that sounded incredibly strange but with the way I read it, it was nice to see that the “bad guys” weren’t the ones with the special powers.

I really hope Scarlett is in her writing cave because the cliffhanger at the end had me throwing out some choice words and left me with MANY unanswered questions. But I must say, King Hall is a wonderful debut novel. It carries all of the emotions I want in any book (and some unexpected too) and there is enough going on to really keep my interest (that’s the paranormal in it) without completely confusing me to the point where I have to re-read parts in order to understand who is who or what is what. Thank you for this fantastic beginning to what I hope is a truly magical series!

*ARC provided by the author/publisher via NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.*

**4.5 Hybrid Loving Stars**